Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I did it!!!!!

So today was the day to test my biking legs. Before today the farthest that I have gone in one ride was something like 62 miles. Well today I rode around Lake Tahoe on my road bike. It was so beautiful and at the same time a work out. From what my bike computer said it took me 3:59’22secs to ride around the lake with an average speed of 17.8 mph a max speed of 41.5 mph and a total distance of 71.12 miles. I only stopped twice once to go to the bathroom and rest for about 3 minutes and the other to fix a flat tire which took about 6 minutes. I would like to add that the 62 miles was at low elevation and not up in the 6,000-7,000 foot range. I usually don’t pace myself that well when riding but today I actually did a good job and didn’t even bonk or hit the wall. I remember as a kid my P.E. teachers always talking about the runners high and I always thought that they were on crack. But since I’ve been riding my road bike I know what they are talking about now. On these long distances you get in the zone and from time to time you almost have an outer body experience and then just ride for miles likes this without pain and just hammer it down. I hope this made sense but it’s really hard to put into words. But anyway my legs are sore now and I will be going to bed early tonight. My next task is to ride 100 miles all in one ride. I think that might have to wait until next year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ann Thomas said...

Tom's very proud of you ... wow... under 4 hours. Amazing!!

August 30, 2007 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Alex Robb said...

That is incredible Doug!

Hey we are off to China for daughter #2! Exciting!

September 11, 2007 at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home