Friday, February 22, 2008

Amgen tour de California 2008

When Christine and I got back from Mammoth I ended up staying in Sacramento to photograph the 2nd stage of the Amgen tour de California. They started in Santa Rosa and end the stage in Sacramento with a 4 lap circuit around the capital. The stage was 115.8 miles long and they got to ride most of it in the rain. I was so stoked to see all the top pros in the world in person riding their bikes. Most of these teams and riders ride in all the top races like the Tour de France. The first place I was taking photos at was the town of Winters and then I drove as quickly as I could without breaking any laws to Sacramento to take the final photos of the race.

Here's a photo of all the people I got to hang out with for 2 hours in Winters while waiting for the riders.

I forgot this riders name, but he had an 8 minute lead on the racers when he came by us. His lead didn't last though.

When the rest of the racers got to Winters I was taking some photos in one spot and then was running to another spot to take some more photos when all of sudden one of the riders crashed right in front of me!!!

The rider was Tom Danielson who is a big name US rider who use to ride for the Discovery Team.

Radioing to the team car for an new front wheel.




And he's off again to catch back up with the pack.

Now at the capitol in Sacramento. If you look closely you can see George Hincapie on the right of the front rider. He's also a big US pro who use to ride for the Discovery Team.



The sprit begins for the finish line.

And then the break away begins.

Mark Cavendish sprinted away with a big lead!! I love this photo, it shows the pain of riding almost 115 miles and then giving it your all to try and win.

Mark Cavendish ended up getting caught and placed 4th, while Tom Boonen won the race.

I had a great time a will be back next year for sure. For all of you that live in So Cal the race ends this Sunday in Pasadena. If you love to bike ride I would say this is a must see event.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the desaturated processing! looks sorta 80's in a cool way.

I missed them coming through SB... not a big enough road fan. I just don't like a sport where homeboy leads by 8 minutes while everyone else sits in a pack then they all catch up and one guy sprints for the lead... doesn't work in my head right ;-)

February 25, 2008 at 11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home